Many people only think they really know Rep. John Shimkus (IL-19). Think is the operative word. He has portrayed himself as honest, reliable, patriotic, and trustworthy for so long that even he believes his own hype.
It is true. Mr. Shimkus has remembered the forgotten middle class -- at least long enough to help destroy it as a proponent of social Darwinism. Unemployment in IL-19 is the worst in the state. His tax relief has been for the wealthy and no one else. He pretends to champion safety for children yet he remains derelict in his responsibilities to the House pages. He perpetually makes excuses, deflects blame, and continues to whine. When he hears from his constituents (like senior citizens), he blames them for the high deficit. He barely graduated from West Point yet has a poor record on veterans' issues. The only time he appears interested in energy issues is when he can help exploit natural resources instead of conserving them and reducing consumption.
Mr. Shimkus is also a proponent of negative political campaigning. Many households in IL-19 have received telephone calls in the latest opinion poll. It is the usual filled with loaded questions offering negative information to influence the opinions of the voters receiving the calls. It is interesting to note that the only ones talking about the polling subjects are the Republicans.
The blemishes in the congressman’s reputation are numerous. As a typical wholly partisan Republican, he is cold, calculating, uncaring, crooked, manipulative, obfuscating, self-centered, hypocritical, and glaringly obvious to anyone wanting to see real change in IL-19 -- especially when people really listen to him when he has no choice to appear with the opposition.
All they can do is shake their heads and wonder how he ever fooled people in the first place. He remains out of touch. Since he puts such high importance on his home life, the voters should not deny him the opportunity. Voting for him and sending him back to The Hill where he does not belong is the worst thing IL-19 can do for him, themselves, and the country.
Councilman Dan Stover (D-Centralia) is familiar with the concerns that directly affect the quality of life for people:
VOTE November 07, 2006!!
- Iraq -- Americans continue to die everyday.
- National Debt, Tax Reform -- Republicans are the only ones increasing taxes on the middle class.
- Healthcare -- Too many people cannot afford it.
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan -- The Republicans put a Doughnut Hole in it.
- Environmental issues -- It is all offshore drilling, destroying the Alaska Wildlife Refuge, and no conservation.
- Alternative fuels, Gasoline Prices, Oil Imports -- Only if they benefit the corporate interests.
- Education -- No Child Left Behind is a sham that every teacher knows (except a rubber stamp Republican incumbent).
It is a responsibility and a privilege!