Friday, June 10, 2005

A Little Self-Enlightenment

Downleft wants to know what books I’ve been using to poison my mind. Some of them are listed in my Profile but aren’t sufficient for the questions presented to me:

Total number of books I've owned:
I have no clue & couldn’t venture a reasonable guess. The quantity has never been as important as the quality or what I can learn from them & apply to whatever I’m doing at this moment & to my life. It’s about being a better person tomorrow than what I am today.

The last book I bought is the book I’m currently reading:
The Eloquent President by Ronald C. White – Abraham Lincoln had a wonderful way of using the fewest words possible to convey the most power & persuasion. What’s even more amazing was that his audience typically vilified him for being a Washington outsider when he was first elected. Less than five years later, the same people felt incredible despair for a “family member” as they mourned him.

The last book I read:
What’s The Matter with Kansas? By Thomas Frank – Now I understand how the public can believe the GOP’s rhetoric, continue to support, it & argue vehemently for it although their quality of life is worse than ever before. How the DLC can remain clueless is beyond me. They should take this book to heart & use Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts, PhD, to enact radical change.

Five books that mean a lot to me:
Women Who Made a Difference by Malcolm Forbes – We always hear about the men behind a discovery, recorded history, an invention, etc. I like to know about the women no one ever mentions. Examples: D. W. Griffith learned everything from the real pioneer: Alice Guy. For anyone occasionally enjoying a touch fo the "home brew", thank a woman -- Mary the Jewess invented the still in the 1st Century C. E.

Glory, Passion, and Principle by Melissa Lukeman Bohrer – Eight women who found themselves in the middle of the Revolution. Nancy Ward was the leader of the Cherokee Nation helping the Patriots as much as she could. Some of the subjects were philosophes. Others were soldiers. Molly Pitcher & Deborah Sampson experienced combat for themselves.

America, Why I Love Her by John Wayne – A little-known book I was fortunate to find. Every time I find myself wondering why I even bother, The Duke reminds me that “our country stands today as the world’s oldest living Republic . . . If we fail our trust, Democracy fails."

Lincoln on Leadership by Donald T. Phillips – The man had a simple goal when he entered the White House: Keep the country whole. How does a person accomplish that goal when he’s the most hated person of his time? Contemporary “leaders” should commit every word of this book to memory.

Leap of Faith by Queen Noor – By far, the book that means the most to me. If I could only own one book, this is it. Although a autobiography, the book is an example of a female leader, international policy, public administration, women’s financial independence, varying religious beliefs, & the quest for peace in the most unlikely place on Earth. She’s a Nobel Peace Prize Winner that the Committee ignores every year. Ijust wish that she was still a U. S. citizen. That way I could encourage her to run for president. She's one of the best (if not the best) female leaders on the planet today.

I’m supposed to pass this question onto 5 additional people, but everyone I can think of has already received the list. Instead, I’d like to ask anyone reading this to answer the questions if they haven’t already.

1 Comments:

At 13 June, 2005 09:57, Blogger Rogue said...

Here's some:

1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I enjoyed it (minus the John Galt rant)

2. The Commanders by Bob Woodward. Great insight into the Gulf War.

3-5. Textbooks on Educational Leadership for my graduate degree. They outline the failure of Democrat policies toward education, which is why standards of living are declining in America. We are undereducated and spoiled. Still, the standard of living for those at our poverty level are still higher than most Europeans (thanks to their social democracies and the accompanying tax rates.)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/tommason/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


The views expressed on this site belong to the Philosophe Forum without responsibility for false speculation, erroneous comments, the inability to comprehend written English, complete confusion, or the views & opinions of any website linked to & from this page (contact them, leave me out of it). Please send your messages to this address. All email addresses are confidential, published with permission. The Fair Use Statement is at the bottom of the sidebar.